WALL OF FAME

Wyatt Dowling / Wawanesa Insurance Walls of Fame in Transcona Centennial Square can be found just East of the Transcona Museum.  Information on the inductees can be found here on our website and also within the museum’s Wall of Fame binder.  As individuals are added to the Wall of Fame, the information will be found here.  

Melvin Justus Given McMullen (Len Vintus) 1909-1999 - Inducted in 2013

Mel McMullen also know by his stage name “Len Vintus” was born on June 19, 1903 in Shoal Lake, Manitoba. In 1914 he arrived in Winnipeg with his parents Catherine (nee Bennett) and William A. McMullen.

 

He came to Transcona in 1931 when he was hired as Manager of the North American Lumber in Transcona. After which he then became very involved in the community. He served as President of the Board of Trade in Transcona, Chairman for the Historical Booklet Committee for Transcona’s Silver Jubilee Celebrations. He was elected as School Trustee in Transcona, a position he held for 6 years and later was elected as a Town Councillor, serving five terms in office. In 1950 Mel acted as a main organizer for Transcona’s 1950 Flood Relief effort. He chaired the Historical Booklet Committee for the Golden Jubilee Celebrations. 

 

In 1997 he was awarded the Paul Harris Award from the Transcona Rotary Club for his long involvement in the Transcona community.

Credit: Transcona Museum Archives

Mel was also active in other communities and groups; he co-founded the International Brotherhood of Magicians in 1922 which has become the largest magician organization in the world. He had been enthusiastic about magic from a young age. He performed with his partner “Jerry” on stage many times. He was the Manitoba Manager of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. In 1958 Mel was appointed the Provincial Deputy Minister of Industry and Commerce. He was hired as the Manager for the Manitoba Travel and Convention Association to promote Manitoba. He was well known as Mr Manitoba due to his unfailing enthusiasm for the province, its heritage and resources.

Margaret Underhill -Inducted in 2013

Miss Margaret Underhill was educated at Central School in Transcona before becoming a teacher herself. She taught in many different rural Manitoba schools, such as Swan River and Starbuck before returning to Transcona in 1927 and continued to educate youth for 36 years.

In 1956 she was appointed teaching Principal of Westview School. In 1957 she was transferred to the new Radisson Elementary school as the first female principal. In 1965, a year after she retired, she was honored as the namesake of the newly built Margaret Underhill Elementary now known as École Margaret Underhill.

A Bronze plaque in the school reads:

Credit: "From Slate to Computer: in the Transcona –Springfield Area 1873-1983"

"NAMED IN HOUR OF THE FIRST LADY PRINCIPLE TO BE APPOINTED IN TRANSCONA SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 39 AND DEDICATED TO HER AND OTHER LONG SERVICE LADY TEACHERS WHO GAVE A TOTAL OF 741 YEARS GUIDING AND TEACHING THE CHILDREN OF TRANSCONA."

Mary Sophie Andree (nee Chudzik) 1926-2012 - Inducted in 2013

Commemorative Medal for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee. She volunteered in many community clubs. Mary Andree is the namesake of Mary Andree Way which is located in Transcona West.

Credit: Transcona Museum Archives

Mary Andree was a school trustee in Transcona from 1962 to 2006. She served as chair of the Transcona-Springfield School Division on more than one occasion, and was elected to the successor River East Transcona School Division in 2002. In 2005; she supported the unsuccessful attempt to rename Wayoata Elementary School after Terry Fox.

Mary was very involved in St. Joseph the Worker, volunteered with many community groups, was a former storeowner and was recognized as the Woman of the Year in Canada and Chatelaine Manitoba Mother of the Year. Some of her additional accomplishments were Chairman of the Board (school board), Vice Chairman, Chairman Negotiations, Chairman of Child Guidance Clinic Advisory Council, recipient of the City of Winnipeg Community Service Award. She was a Girl Guide leader for 18 years and she earned the Long Service Award from the Girl Guide Association of Canada, for having served as a Brownie Leader / Brown Owl. She received

Joesph Bere Blostein 1888-1981 - Inducted in 2013

Throughout virtually the whole of Transcona’s history, Joe Blostein’s name was synonymous with quality craftsmanship, superior service and unparalleled selection. Joe Blostein owned and operated Blostein’s Department store which later became Jo Blostein & Son Department store. Joe was a Master tailor after a six-year apprentice at a naval base in Russia. He came to Transcona in 1914 from Konstradt, Leningrad.

He was the first to offer hand-made to measure clothing in Transcona. During the Depression Era, the 1930s it's said he gave new shoes to children whose fathers had been laid-off from work. For many years he also conducted a ‘Suit Club’ intended for men employed at the local CN Shops. A small amount was paid toward the ‘Suit Club’ each pay period and, ultimately, the individual would be eligible for a new hand-made suit. A common Transcona slogan was “If you can’t find it anywhere, go to Blostein’s” and “If Blostein’s doesn’t have it, quit looking.”

Credit: Transcona Museum Archives

As a Transcona resident and businessman, Joe Blostein witnessed the contributions of Transcona’s sons and daughters during the First and Second World Wars, as well as the Korean conflict. His Remembrance Week window displays were well known and won many awards and accolades including the Riedle Trophy.


He is the namesake of Blostein Bay.

Dr. Murdoch MacKay (188(4-5?)-1962) - Inducted in 2013

Dr. Murdoch MacKay was a well-known physician in Transcona, born in Cape Berton, Nova Scotia in 188(4-5?). He graduated from Manitoba Medical School in 1916 and married Ruby M. Gowland the following year. In 1916(1917 by attestation papers) Dr. MacKay enlisted in the Canadian Medical Army Corp and was a Medical Officer overseas. He served in England and France and experienced the loss of so many young lives. After returning from the war, in December 1919, he purchased the medical practice of D. V. S. Winkler in Transcona. During the Depression he allowed the municipality of Springfield-Oakbank to pay him in wood. Dr. Murdoch MacKay later became the leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party. In 1927 he was elected to the Provincial Legislature as a Liberal.

 

During WWII he had to give medical exams to future soldiers. This was a very difficult task for the doctor, as he knew first hand the horrors of war. 

Credit: Transcona 75th Anniversary Book

Dr. MacKay’s wife noted, “Sometimes he wouldn’t sleep all night when he knew some of the beautiful babies he had brought into the world were asking him to decide whether or not they could go to war.” The doctor always welcomed home returning soldiers and was often known to celebrate with them by having a drink and toasting to their return from a hidden bottle in his office.

Dr. MacKay was an active member of Memorial United Church, the Transcona Legion, the Knights Pythias, Transcona Lodge 123, the Shriners, and the Transcona Curling Club. He was also president of the Transcona Board of Trade. He continued his medical practice until illness forced his retirement in December 1953.


He is the namesake of Murdoch MacKay Collegiate Institute.

Albert Edward (Ed) Golding - Inducted in 2013

Born in Brandon, Manitoba Ed came to Transcona in the early 1930s. He worked at the CN Shops, the East End CC, and lastly the City of Winnipeg as manager of Roland Michener Arena.

Ed Golding has been credited as the motivating force behind the formation of the East End Community Club. From the first club house of a railway box car, Ed believed that the club would provide a diversion and healthy recreation for the children and young folks. It is said that he ripped the siding off of his own home to better insulate the railway car first used as the club. He served as the president of the East End Community for 20 years. His motto was “ If it is good for the kids, then the East End will back it”. He was praised by fellow community members for being a great leader and supplying a limitless fund of spirit, determination, enthusiasm, courage, and vision. It was said that “Ed had a heart of gold when it came to the kids… He had his heart and soul in the community club."

Credit: Transcona Museum Archives

Ed passed away in 1978. In the fall of 1994, Ed Golding Memorial Arena was designated. He is also the namesake of Ed Golding Bay.

The Transcona Museum gratefully acknowledges the City of Winnipeg for their ongoing support of museum operations and facility maintenance.

We would like to acknowledge that we reside on Treaty One territory, the traditional territory of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, as well as the homeland of the Métis Nation.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
Transcona Museum
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon